It could be a gas leak.
What to do if you smell gas.
Gas is a flammable substance with a distinctive odour, similar to rotten eggs.
If you can smell gas, always eliminate ignition sources. For example:
• Do not smoke.
• Do not operate electrical appliances.
• Do not operate light switches or mobile phones.
• Move away from the area.
If you can smell gas, call ATCO on 13 13 52 or report the smell of gas online.
Faulty or poorly maintained gas appliances can emit dangerous carbon monoxide.
Unlike natural gas, it’s odourless. If carbon monoxide is present, you might experience tiredness, dizziness, vomiting and loss of consciousness. If you suspect someone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit a doctor or hospital immediately.
Here are the steps you should take if you suspect a gas leak:
- IDENTIFY if you detect a rotten egg smell it could be a gas leak.
- LEAVE the area and don’t use anything that might create a spark.
- CALL ATCO Gas Australia 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 13 13 52.